- Collected: 1094.45 USD
- Day: 56
- 13 Donate
- Campaign Objective : 7000 USD
Education 4All is a virtual program founded by a group of refugees during the COVID-19 pandemic in response to the rising need for educational opportunities among refugees in Indonesia. Because there are currently only 12 refugee learning facilities in Jakarta and Bogor, and because refugees also live in other places, many are without access to educational opportunities.
Due to the unavailability of learning programs in their areas and the lack of funds for transportation to those facilities, refugee students choose to remain at their place and learn on their own. We wanted to reach those refugees to provide educational materials online and monitor their studying. Our program now includes several primary, middle, and high school students. We also have a pathway to formal education for students to earn a GED (General Education Development) certificate.
The funds from the last fundraising campaign, which we started in early 2022 and raised $3126 in donations, were used to support the curriculum and the program. Our goal for this program is to reach more refugees living in secluded areas and improve our educational program to increase our capacity.
Our Programs (Click here for information on our website!)
1) Online Educational Program
Our educational program consists of regular class meetings with the students via Zoom and Google Classroom. Our learning program is 100% virtual with a simple and flexible approach to helping refugees at their own pace. Our students, according to their knowledge, are assigned to the program with three different levels: primary level, middle level, and secondary level. At the primary and middle levels, we focus on building the basic foundations of math and English reading, writing, and speaking.
At the secondary level, we are implementing the GED (General Education Development) curriculum which is equivalent to U.S high school standards to enable our students to earn an accredited certificate widely accepted as an alternative to a high school diploma. We are using basic platforms such as WhatsApp for communication, Zoom for live sessions, and Google Classroom which helps facilitate online learning.
2) Quran Program (Iqraa)
Iqraa is an independent program from the Education4all learning program. It consists of weekly classes of Qur'an memorization, Tafseer (meaning), and Aqeedah (beliefs). Currently, There are 3 classes of 55 students that are available for ladies, young girls, and kids. The classes aid in memorizing the Qur'an, learning basic Tajweed (pronunciation) rules online, and comprehending the meanings and teachings of the Qur'an. Our goal with these classes is to strengthen our students’ religious identity while also advancing their spiritual growth. With the effort of our teachers, 6 of our students had the opportunity to pursue a diploma in Islamic studies at another institution. Iqraa is a way to give students higher education opportunities in different fields of study.
Why do we Need Help?
1. Allowance for refugee volunteers - The Indonesian government is not a signatory to the 1951 Refugee Convention. As a result, refugees and asylum seekers are unable to exercise their right to work. We aim to empower our colleagues in the refugee community by giving them an allowance because our volunteer refugee staff work incredibly hard to empower our students, run, and sustain the program. The main purpose in providing allowance for our refugee volunteers is to make their life easier while volunteering with us so that they can at least cover internet expenses and some of their personal expenses.
2. Online materials - As our program is completely based online, finances for supporting the learning system are essential such as for Zoom subscriptions. These finances will help increase the numbers of sessions for our students, provide stability to our learning system, and include more features for our platforms.
3. GED exam fees - We currently have 4 GED students who are working to take all 4 exams in the subjects: math, English, social studies, and science. Additionally, we have 6 students in their preparation phase. In order to take these exams we need to pay for their pre-exams, their final exams, and for the materials needed for studying
Our legal status: Even though refugees are restricted by many regulations, fortunately, we have the freedom of association to open centers. However, these centers need to be donation-based where the entire staff needs to be made up of volunteers.
NOTE: Please note that we are receiving donations through our Indonesian supporters due to legal restrictions.
Refugee Situation in Indonesia Infographic