Charity on behalf of the deceased is permissible, beneficial, and advantageous for the departed. It is established in authentic hadiths that the Prophet Muhammad ﷺ was asked about this, and he affirmed its merit. When a man inquired about giving charity on behalf of his deceased mother, the Prophet ﷺ replied: "Yes, indeed. Charity benefits the deceased, and the one who gives charity can expect a reward similar to the benefit received by the deceased." The Prophet ﷺ also stated: "Whoever guides someone to goodness will have a reward like one who does it.
Charitable Acts Whose Rewards Can Reach the Deceased:
1. Ongoing Charity:Such as building a charitable project, constructing a mosque, or digging a well for continuous benefit over an extended period. The most preferable ongoing charity for the deceased is providing water. Abu Huraira (may Allah be pleased with him) reported that the Prophet ﷺ said: "When a person dies, his deeds come to an end, except for three: ongoing charity, beneficial knowledge, or a righteous child who prays for him."
2. Beneficial Knowledge:Contributing to the dissemination of knowledge that benefits people, whether through the publication of religious books, printing Qurans, or conducting educational courses.
3. Performing Hajj and Umrah on Behalf of the Deceased.
4. Supplication and Seeking Forgiveness: Praying for the deceased, asking for forgiveness on their behalf, is considered an act of charity. Such prayers may have a positive impact on the soul.
The Virtues of Charity for the Deceased:
* Earns immense rewards.
* Charity extinguishes the anger of Allah.
* Alleviates the hardships of the deceased. The reward of charity reaches the departed, offering them its virtues. Consequently, it eases their burden and shields them from punishment by Allah's permission. This is inferred from the Prophet's ﷺ saying: "Guard yourselves against the Fire even if with half a date in charity."
* Invokes Allah's daily blessings upon the charitable giver, unlike the one who withholds, as Allah does not bless their sustenance.
* Charity brings peace to the heart and expands the chest.
* The givers of charity are invited to a specific door in Paradise called the "Door of Charity."
* Charity averts calamities, promotes righteousness, and enhances blessings and provisions.